February 25, 2013

When Self Doubt Sets In


Anxiety, insecurities, fears- they are all absolutely evitable. And to be a stylish woman, it is crucial to be thoughtful and to learn what works for you when it comes to facing pressure and stress. Here are some strategies that greatly help me and may also work for you!

Treat yourself as you would a friend.
Yes, I definitely give myself pep talks, all the time. That might sound dorky but for me it’s absolutely necessary. And how do I go about doing this? I treat myself as I would treat my friends. If a friend came to me with a struggle or insecurity, how would I approach the situation? I would never put them down or point our more flaws, instead I would want to be a cheerleader for them and make them feel uplifted. Accordingly, I try to do the same for myself.

Surround yourself with encouraging people.
Sometimes know matter how strong you may be, you just need some love and encouragement from your friends. And I’m not talking about friends that you can gossip with or friends that come and go. Every person needs friends that they see as family. A group of people that are non-judgmental, caring, and show strong character.

Pamper yourself.
When I have a busy week ahead the last thing I want to worry about are chipped nails or untamed eyebrows. I want to put my best foot forward in both what I’m doing (work, school, extracurricular activities, etc.) and with my physical presentation. Whether it is painting my nails, choosing my outfits for the week, or giving myself a facial, the extra half hour it takes to do these activities gives me time to relax, refuel my confidence, and invest in myself.

Create a positive environment.
The space that I live in is an ongoing project for me. I always want to rearrange furniture, decorate, clean, or take on a DIY project. By doing this, I work through my stress but also can take the opportunity to be reminded of my blessings. By adding photographs in picture frames to my walls, hanging artwork, utilizing inspiring phrases/quotes, and adding bright colors to a room, I immediately feel happy and uplifted.

Say it out loud.
Talking to someone, a friend, peer, or counselor is always helpful in gaining insight. Sometimes, or actually most of the time, we don’t need someone to give us advice, we just need them to ask questions so we can speak out our problems and then the solutions become clear. And other times, you may not need to even speak to another person; you just may need to speak out loud to yourself. Things always seem to become crystal clear when your get out of your mind and speak your thoughts aloud. 

No comments:

Post a Comment