February 24, 2013

An Introduction




Looking back on my relationship with fashion, there’s one memory that really sticks out to me. I remember being 5 years old and going out to shop with my grandmother, who was and still is my fashion icon. We were in a children’s clothing boutique when I found this barrel of little girl’s handbags. I remember my eyes widening and a smile instantly consuming my face at the sight of this large barrel filled with small, dainty heart shaped purses in an assortment of bright colors covered with intricate beading. My grandmother bought me one of the bags and instantly, I felt like I was on the path to becoming a sophisticated, fashionable, and beautiful woman, just like her.

This single connection to fashion- the realization that clothing and accessories could change my outlook on life and that I could feel glamorous and worthy, would lay the ground work for my self esteem to build and blossom in the coming years. It was many moments like these, learning about fashion from my grandmother, that would grow me into the strong woman that I am today. My grandmother taught me about style in regards to clothing but also what it means to be a stylish woman. Now I know that being stylish is more than wearing this season’s “it” color or carrying around a glitzy bag. It is about having character, showing strength, and having confidence in your talents and abilities (hence the founding principles of Fashion Matterns: character, strength, and confidence).

So what does this memory have to do with Eating Disorders Awareness Week (EDAW)? Well, I firmly believe that this moment, and several similar ones, prevented me from following the in the footsteps of my mother who suffers from anorexia. You see, my mother’s battle with self-esteem was transferred onto me as I grew up under her care. How can a young girl grow up to respect and love herself when her most important role model, her mother doesn’t respect and love herself.

In fact, studies and science are showing that eating disorders stem from more than poor body image. ANAD, the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders says in regards to eating disorders, “Our knowledge at this point indicates that genes load the gun and the environment pulls the trigger.” In other words if your family has a history of eating disorders, the genes you inherit from them can make you more likely or prone to develop an eating disorder. From there, the environment or experiences you have can bring out those genetic weaknesses and create a downward spiral that results in a full blown eating disorder. But thankfully, I had been blessed with many forms of support including a compassionate grandmother, a curious mind, a strong work ethic, and exposure to the transformative powers of fashion.

It might be hard to believe that a form of art or industry or creative outlet that is fashion has had such a profound affect on my life. And especially that it is fashion- after all, people criticize fashion for the unrealistically skinny models that walk down the runways, and for its “materialistic” focus, and its competitive, cut throat, and critical nature. But for people who believe this viewpoint, or even fuel this negative side, they do not know fashion as I do. Fashion is suppose to bring out the best in a person, encourage them to express themselves in crazy and fun ways, as well as giving them the confidence to take on whatever challenge they face.

Through the written pieces, photographs, and other creations on Fashion Matterns, I want people of all self esteem levels to find inspiration and optimism. For the next seven days, you will find pieces relating to Eating Disorders Awareness Week here on Fashion Matterns. Let the fashion and self appreciation begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment