February 26, 2013

Defining Yourself


What are you greater than?

Is it your last breakup?
The number that shows up on your scale?
Is it your last test grade or the way your boss treats you at work?
What about your acne? Or your fear of trying new things?

What is it that pulls you down and makes you feel unworthy of respect from others and yourself.

I know that I am greater than…

The stereotypes of the fashion industry
The fact that I didn’t go to spinning on Monday
The pressure I feel from my peers

But how can I define myself? What is it that makes me good enough?

This is something I am still not entirely sure of. I am only twenty-one after all. But I do know that I am not perfect and it is wrong to expect myself to be perfect. I know that I am greater than my past and mistakes and fears.

I believe that no one area of your life should define you. We should strive to be well-rounded individuals so when one area falls through we can still be proud of another. And ultimately, your character is what amounts to something significant in the end. Just a few things to think about as we participate in a week full of reflection, self discovery, and loving oneself.

No comments:

Post a Comment