February 28, 2013

Owning It


In the past ninth months, life has thrown a few curve balls in my direction. And these turn of events were definitely challenges great enough to make me bitter and upset. I felt like I was carrying a burden around with me everywhere I went. This load of negative energy really started to make me feel lost; and simply put, I didn’t feel like myself. Then I read this:

“Being tender and open is beautiful. As a woman, I feel continually shhh’ed. Too sensitive. Too mushy. Too wishy washy. Blah blah. Don’t let someone steal your tenderness. Don’t allow the coldness and fear of others to tarnish your perfectly vulnerable beating heart. Nothing is more powerful than allowing yourself to be truly affected by things. Whether it’s a song, a stranger, a mountain, a rain drop, a tea kettle, an article, a sentence, a footstep, feel it all- look around you. All of this is for you. Take it and have gratitude. Give it and feel love.” –Zooey Deschanel

Instantly, a portion of my sore heart was relieved and a part of my burden was lifted off my shoulders. For months I had been letting a few bad experiences take away my tenderness. I had also been letting the people around me, who had gone through similar situations be bitter and make me think that it was okay for me to act that way also. But hearing that it was okay to be open, to be expressive, to be loving, or in other words to be exactly who I am- that made me feel great.

Some people may think I reflect too much, or I think too much, or that I am sappy, corny, and even impractical, but guess what, that’s who I am! And that’s what EDAW is for; owning you body, emotions, thoughts, and feelings and not being ashamed of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment