July 11, 2011

"She Was a Flapper"



I was not looking forward to my ninetieth birthday this past fall, another year older, meaning another year closer to wrinkles, less energy, and a less interesting life, or so I thought. Around the same time, I was researching the 1920’s and flappers for a school project. While researching, I came across descriptions such as,
 "She was giddy and took risks. She was a flapper." (Jennifer Rosenberg)
  "Lovely, expensive, and about nineteen." (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
 These two statements got me thinking, I am about to be nineteen, why not embrace the flapper philosophy and lifestyle? Soon after, I turned nineteen, and my eighteen year old attitude was beginning to diminish. Embracing this lifestyle, has meant trying to not take life too seriously, being adventurous, and taking more fashion risks. What a person can learn from flappers is to not only include art deco elements, fringe, and pearls into one’s wardrobe, but also to live a life of risks, independent thinking, and high energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment