July 20, 2011

Always Stylish, Always Current


I can vividly remember as a young child being preached at by teachers, family members, and elders to fill my spare time with reading. I was told it would improve my vocabulary, IQ, and overall knowledge.  But even through high school I never could really get into reading classics or other popular books; rather I filled my time with reading fashion magazines.
Often times, people look down upon fashion as a career choice, and even as an interest. They put all of us “fashionistas” into one group: the stereotypical butter-face, bimbo who probably suffers from a shopping addiction. But let me tell you, it takes great skill to be able to write about and depict fashion properly. For the average person to thoroughly understand the importance of the latest Jimmy Cho shoe or how to effectively upkeep your appearance, and how these subjects affect you personally is challenging. Every person views clothing and style from their own viewpoint, therefore making fashion relatable and understandable to a large audience is not an easy task. Not to mention putting something so visual, or aesthetic, into words is a challenge in its own. An individual can learn about effective writing, relating to people of all types, and proper communication skills through fashion magazines, which is only one reason why they should read them.
My second reason why I recommend reading magazines like Vogue or Marie Claire is because they are filled with great knowledge. Each month, a new person graces the cover of each magazine. Not all, but most of these individuals are great role models. They are the some of the most successful people on the planet, who can be a better teacher and guide than that? In addition, fashion magazines now include health articles, current events, financial advice, and many more beneficial pieces of information. Not only does a women keep up on fashion trends, but also worldly and womanly trends.
Next time you are searching for new literature, or need a new nightly read to place on your bedside table, invest in an inexpensive, but enriching fashion magazine; Always stylish, always current, a read that will make you a better woman.

1 comment:

  1. Jess! I'm not even really into fashion, but I love reading your blog! You're a beautiful writer, you should consider writing for a fashion magazine one day! I love reading them for all the extra knowledge they give me (which is especially helpful to someone like me who is fashionably challenged tehe). I will gladly pick up a fashion magazine as new literature :)

    ReplyDelete